Thursday, April 16, 2009

I love it!

Thanks D for this article! Although I don't really know too much about Pastor McClurkin, I love him for his position on this! This is truly a blessing for someone of his standing in "celebrity christian america" to say this. May God continue to bless him and the flock that he shepherds.


Donnie McClurkin Disgusted with Pastoral Excesses and Abusesed by Bishop
Andy er, D. Min. on March 29, 2009 at 1:00am w Bishop Andy C. Lewter, D.
Min.'s blog
(Embedded image moved to file: pic26500.jpg)
Pastor Donnie Mcclurkin
Perfecting Church, Freeport , New York

This past week, popular preacher, recording artist and pastor, Donnie
McClurkin, went on record to declare his deep disappointment with what he
sees as pastoral abuses in the body of Christ. His comments has raised a
legitimate question about abuse and excesses in the body of Christ and has
brought attention to a topic that has largely been ignored in the church
community.

In an article appearing in Essence this past week Pastor McCLurkin is
quoted as saying:

"As pastors, we have to link arms and have bi-partisanships. The [Black]
church has always been the face of the community. Now we have to take on
the responsibility of becoming true servants to the people from all walks
of life. I get so mad when I see these pimpin' preachers driving
Rolls-Royces, Bentleys, flying around in their private jets, and making it
seem like prosperity and money is the way of God when 90 percent of your
congregation is on
Section 8 or can't figure out how they are going to keep their lights on
or feed their kids. I'm big on perception, and what would it look like for
me to live so lavishly if the people in my church are struggling?" says
Pastor McClurkin in the article."

In venting his frustration over the behavior of some in the church
community, Pastor McCLurkin reveals his own humility and sense of service to God and God's people, by outlining his own relationship, financial and
otherwise, with his church and his refusal to take revenue from a
congregation that he has built from the ground up.

"I've done great in gospel music, and only a few of us have
accomplished what I have, and guess what? I live in the 'hood, not
some place on the outskirts of the 'hood. There ain't no gate
around my house; I have a white fence because the people I pastor
live in that community. I have one vehicle and it's not a
Mercedes, it's a Lincoln Navigator. I don't receive a dime—not an
Abraham Lincoln copper coin—and haven't for the last
seven-and-a-half years because I'm okay." he tells Kenya Byrd of
Essence Magazine.

As such, Pastor McCLurkin has become a model and an example for others to
emulate. His mentality and actions, that places a greater emphasis on
service than profit, can only be admired by all of those who love the Lord
and are seeking to do his will to the best of their ability. Pastor
McCLurkin makes it clear that he has options, but chooses to live a modest
and humble lifestyle because that what God has called him to do.

If I wanted to buy a Phantom or Bentley I could and not hurt my
pockets, but I'm okay with what I have. I can sing and work and I
let all that money go back into the church so we can buy the
delicatessen on the corner, or the house next door to make it
state-of-the-art low-income housing. We've trained our people to
put their leaders on pedestals, and some people want to live
vicariously through their pastor and say, "My pastor has this and
he's on television and so on," but then what do you have? How have
you prospered and grown? So when I hear other pastors say, "My
people take care of me," I'm thinking, But you're supposed to be
taking care of the people. I just don't get it. Pastor McCLurkin
goes on to say.says McClurkin.

What is best gleaned from the wisdom and honesty of Pastor McCLurkin is
his healthy attitude about the church and who it belongs to. His
"ecclesiology", which is worthy of our consideration, perhaps best
represents what Christ had in mind when he gave pastors to the body of
Christ in the first place.

I don't have a church, but I do have a church that I pastor. I
can't name something the Donnie McClurkin Temple because the
people do not belong to me and if they did that would mean I have
slaves. I am simply a vessel to deliver God's word. At the end of
the day, it's God's church, not mine. advises Pastor McCLurkin.
May the Lamb that was slain recieve the reward of His suffering...

No comments: