Five reasons why we must urge all men to repent and believe the gospel:
1. Because all men are ignorant (Acts 17:30). People craft a god of their own imagination when they remain in ignorance. “What qualifies a man to hear the gospel? Is he breathing? (laughter)”
2. Because God himself commands all men everywhere to repent. This is what the Spirit of God does through his preacher; “repent and believe the gospel.” God’s commands are not meant to be considered. God’s commandments are meant to be obeyed. It is the sinner’s responsibility to repent, repent, repent! It is appropriate to command people to repent.
3. Because all men will one day face the judgment of God (Acts 17:31). The standard of God’s judgment will be the righteousness of Christ. Yet we have all fallen short of that perfection. No man can attain the standard on his own. Assurances of these truths are contained in Christ’s resurrection (Acts 17:32). This nation needs faithful preachers to stand up and proclaim these truths.
4. Because, thanks be to God, some will repent and believe (Acts 17:32-34). To see someone cling to Jesus, to come to saving faith, makes the trials of ministry worthwhile. “God’s sovereign plan is to save some by preaching the gospel to all.”
5. Because this is our calling. God calls us to proclaim the gospel to all people. This is our life, our calling, our sacred duty. This ought to be our passion, to urge all men to repent and believe the gospel.
Conclusion: Congregational call to all to repent, and believe in Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Amen.
Truth Matters articles are available online at www.truthmatters.us. Comments may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.