Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why Me? - R.C. Sproul

"The deepest theological question that I can think of, the one for which I have no adequate answer, is the question, 'Why Me?' My students come to me with all kind of conundrums from theology, but they rarely ask, "Why did God save me?" It sometimes seems as if we're thinking: "Why wouldn't He save me?" Yes, we have little aphorisms such as, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." Do we really believe that? Are we really amazed by the measure of grace God has poured out on us? Can we say with John, "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us that we should be called children of God!"(1 John 3:1). I cannot give a single reason under heaven why God would save me other than, as the prophet Isaiah said, that the Suffering Servant of Israel should see the travail of His soul and be satisfied - that God has determined to honor His Son by giving Him adopted brothers and sisters (Isa.53:11).
In the final analysis, the only reason I am a Christian is that the Father wants to honor the Son. From all eternity, He determined that the Son's work would not be in vain and that He would be the firstborn of many brethren. Therefore, He determined not just to make salvation possible and then step back and cross His fingers, hoping that somebody would take advantage of the ministry of Jesus. No, God the Father, from all eternity, determined to make salvation certain for those whom He had determined to give to His Son.

- R.C. Sproul on John 6:37, from his commentary on the Gospel of John "John:St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary"

No comments: