Friday, March 12, 2010

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones on the Gifts of the Spirit

So, as you can tell, im rapidly becomming an even bigger Lloyd-Jones fan....here is another quote from one of the greatest preachers of this century......


"My attitude to the question of Tongues and other gifts is this: I have never been able to accept the traditional teaching as stated particularly, perhaps, by Warfield, that all gifts came to an end at the Apostolic era. I cannot see any scriptural warrant for this teaching; indeed it seems to me to be a kind of dispensationalism which renders much of the epistles useless. For instance it implies that the teaching of 1 Thessalonians 5, verses 19 - 21 has no application today. All I say is, that while it is clear from the history of the Church that certain gifts seem to have been in abeyance over the centuries the Holy Spirit in His Lordship may give them at any time. Indeed there is clear teaching that towards the end of this age such gifts are likely to reappear in great power, and at the same time many counterfeits.The result of all this is that while I am very unhappy about this Charismatic Movement, and regard it as a real danger to the true Church and the Gospel, because it implies constantly that doctrine does not matter at all, I am equally concerned that we should not become guilty of "quenching the Spirit" and tying ourselves up in a dead orthodoxy."

2 comments:

Demetrius said...

Wow. Ray this is powerful D Martyn Lloyd Jones was a great man of God I want to read his bio someday man and get his book on the doctrine of God. Good day my friend

RAYMONDO said...

Awesome man! A man of love like Tozer on the same subject. Thanks for posting that.